Friday, September 26, 2008

Walk, Don't Ride


#1. Saving Money Tip - Walk Where You Need to Go, Don't Ride. That means when you open up the door to your house, apartment, or townhouse, walk past your car and keep on walking. With gas prices at $4.00 per gallon, it's easy to figure out cost per mile for driving. My car gets about 20 miles to the gallon city driving. $4.00 gallon/20 miles to the gallon = 20 cents per mile! Everytime I drive 1 mile I spend 20 cents. Eek! That 1-mile drive to the grocery store - 40 cents roundtrip. The 1/2 mile walk to the park - 20 cents roundtrip. Now I know that you can't walk everywhere and it's not always feasible - it's too cold, it's raining, there's not enough time, etc. But when you can, WALK!

In Real Life (IRL) - We try to walk anywhere we can. We can walk to the library, preschool, the supermarket, the playground, the drugstore, and other stores and restaurants. All are within one mile of my house. We TRY but we don't always succeed. As mentioned above, it's not always feasible. Sometimes we wake up too late to make the one-mile walk to preschool before 9 am. Sometimes the baby is napping at pick-up time. But in the past 3 weeks that school has been open, we have walked just about every afternoon to pick up my daughter at preschool and once in the morning to bring her there (we like to sleep late!). Yesterday we walked to the library. It's about 3/4 of a mile away. So I saved myself 30 cents by walking there, not to mention the exercise and fresh air my kids and I got (oh and the free books to borrow but that's another post!). After we were done at the library, we stopped at the drugstore to pick up a prescription for my daughter. That's an additional 1/4 of a mile away, so we saved another 10 cents! A total of 40 cents saved today! It's not going to make me rich overnight but when combined with my other saving money tips that I'll be writing about, the savings add up quickly. What's within one mile of your house? Where can you walk to?

No comments: