Sunday, November 2, 2008

Find Extra Ways to Make Money


Tip #22 - Find Another Source of Income - If you have a full-time job or if you are a stay-at-home-mom, there are extra ways you can make money. Perhaps you have some debt and your budget won't allow for you to put away much savings. Then earn some extra money instead. There are many easy ways to earn money. You can babysit children, walk neighbors' pets, clean houses, sell on ebay, mow lawns, rake leaves, work at a local supermarket, etc. If you have a need for some extra income, ask around for a part-time job or create one yourself. Be creative and look inward to what your talents and interests are.

If you have a full-time job, try not to do this as a way to keep up with your expensive buying habits. You will find yourself worn out from working all day and keeping an extra job at night. Do this to help your finanacial situation. You want to get out of debt or pay off that car loan so you can start building your savings. Then take on some work for a few months. Once the debt is paid off, then you can keep to your budget and just live on your regular income. This is not an ideal situation but many of you are not in ideal situations financially. If you are a stay-at-home mom, then maybe this is the right balance of staying at home and a small amount of work for you or a way to add to your spouse's income.

Start small and slowly. Find what you like and take it from there. You may even find that you have a new career in the making. Good luck!

In Real Life (IRL) - I am a SAHM. I have stayed at home since my daughter was born 7 years ago. And while we mostly live on my husband's income, I have done part-time work for almost all of those 7 years. When my oldest was 1, I offered my services to my old job on a part-time basis. Since they had a lot of work, they were happy to pass some off to me. I never worked more than 10 hours per week, which was great for a mom with a baby. I continued that until I had my second child. And then when she was about 1 year old, I did the same thing. Now that I have 3 children, I really don't have much time to devote to that job so I haven't offered my services to them.

I did decide however to sell more on ebay. I have sold a few things here and there on ebay for about 7 years but not steadily or in any great quantities. When my last child turned 1, I decided that selling on ebay might be easier for me to add to our family's income than working part-time at my old job. I started slowly. Umm...I am still going slowly. I set a goal of selling 5 things per week, hoping to make $50 per week. It's not much, but it's something and I enjoy it. I sell things that I already own, toys that I want to get rid of, and things that I find at yard sales and thrift stores. I already shop at them anyway so it's easy enough for me to look for things to sell on ebay, as well. I sell what I know, so I limit buying things that I don't know about. I've been doing pretty well with it. Find what you like to do, and maybe you can earn some extra income, too.

No comments: