Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Give Thanks For What You Have

Tip #33 - Give Thanks For What You Have. During this holiday season, it is easy to overlook what we have and instead concentrate on what we don't have. We don't have a big-screen t.v. We don't have stainless steel appliances. We don't have a new car. We don't have designer clothes. Don't succomb to society's pressure to have the latest and greatest things. Be thankful for what you do have. So what if your television is only 27 inches. It's bigger than the one you had growing up, I'm sure. And your appliances are standard white? Be thankful they're not harvest gold or avocado. And your car has 100,000 miles on it? Be thankful that it works. And your clothes are last year's style or they came from a garage sale? Be thankful that they keep you warm.

At this time of year, it's easy to become greedy when you see what other people are getting or doing for the holidays. The new car. The cruise to the Caribbean. Instead turn it around and be thankful for what you do have - a loving family, a home that has beds in it, a car that works, and some money in your pocket. By being thankful for what you do have, you will not only appreciate your things more, but you will spend less. And you will forget about the things you don't have. By giving thanks for the things you do have, you will stick to your budget. And you will be very thankful at the end of the year when you do your financial check-up and you haven't gone over-budget.

In Real Life (IRL) - I truly try to appreciate what I have. I have a great family. I have a nice house. We take a vacation every year. And we have two cars to drive. It would be very easy for me to be ungrateful. My house is very modest - a 1950's ranch home. Our cars are 6 and 7 years old. One has over 100,000 miles on it. Our vacation is usually done by car within the country not to some exotic island. But really, I don't care. Because I have financial freedom. If my tooth breaks tomorrow, I have money to fix it. If I need to visit a family member I can afford to fly there if I have to. When my children go to college, I will be able to pay for it. By not looking at what I don't have, I am happy. I know that my choices are the right ones for me. By sticking to my budget and not buying the latest and greatest things, I have money in my pocket if I need it. And for that I am thankful. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: