Sunday, May 10, 2009

Our Family's Finances - Weekly Wrap-Up


Expenses – I went to several grocery stores stocking up for food for our family and for my daughter’s birthday party. There is a local chain near us that is pretty inexpensive in the produce department. I spent $12 there and got lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I also spent $15 at Giant, $22 at Safeway, and $22 at Whole Foods. My husband went to Costco and Wal-mart and spent $14 and $16, respectively for a total cost of $101 for food this week and seemed to cover every supermarket in the metro area. I went to Michael’s and got the rest of the crafts and things for my daughter’s party ($10). And we spent $46 on pizza for the party and for friends and family who came over afterwards. Lastly, I signed up my younger daughter for camp and activities at the local community center for the summer. I spent $225, which will keep her in gymnastics one day a week for 6 weeks, a week-long afternoon camp, and two 3-day morning camps. I went to a few yardsales and bought some great things including some American Girl items and some depression glass. I only spent $12 total!

Deals –I bought the crafts and goody bags at Michael’s using two coupons and snagged a deal at Safeway on strawberries getting 4 pounds for $4 using coupons and specials as well as some cereal for $1 or $1.50, again using coupons and specials.

Income –
I sold a few items on eBay this week for a total of $86 and a few things on Craigslist for a total of $97. And I got a $3.50 rebate in the mail. I have a few things up on eBay, but need to put up some more.

Investments – I finally invested the last $2,000 from the first quarter. I put $2,000 into a mutual fund account for my second child’s Education Savings Account. After analyzing the investments I have for my children’s education, I realize that I am too conservative, with most of it in CDs earning 4-5%, so this will balance it out more to the stock side. Now I am ready to invest $4,000 for the second quarter of the year.

Giving – Umm, I don’t think I gave anything this week other than the birthday party which was a big success.

No comments: